Meridian School District Collective Bargaining Agreement

Meridian School District Collective Bargaining Agreement: Understanding the Key Components

Collective bargaining agreements, also known as CBAs, are legally binding agreements between an employer and a union representing the employees. In the context of the education system, CBAs are essential as they govern the working conditions, salaries, and benefits of teachers and other school district employees.

The Meridian School District located in Meridian, Idaho, underwent collective bargaining negotiations with the Meridian Education Association (MEA) in 2020. The two parties were able to reach an agreement that provides a framework for employee relations for the next three years. In this article, we will discuss some of the key components of the Meridian School District Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Salary and Benefits

One of the most significant aspects of the CBA is the salary and benefits package that the employees receive. Under the new agreement, teachers and other employees will receive a salary increase of 3.5% each year, effective from the 2020-2021 school year. Additionally, the district will contribute 92% towards the health care premiums, while the employees will be responsible for the remaining 8%.

Working Conditions

The CBA sets out the working conditions for teachers and other district employees. One notable section is the provision of planning and preparation time for teachers. The agreement stipulates that teachers will have a minimum of 225 minutes per week, or 45 minutes per day of uninterrupted planning and preparation time.

Another critical aspect of working conditions is the workload of teachers. The CBA stipulates that teachers will not be required to work more than 1100 hours in a school year. It also limits the number of students assigned to a teacher, with a maximum of 120 students per teacher in middle school and 150 students per teacher in high school.

Professional Development

The Meridian School District aims to provide quality education to the students, and professional development is an essential aspect of achieving this goal. The CBA recognizes the importance of professional development and sets out provisions for it. Each teacher will receive a minimum of twelve hours of professional development per year. The district will also provide opportunities for continued education and training for employees.

Conclusion

The Meridian School District Collective Bargaining Agreement is a comprehensive document that governs the relationship between the district and its employees. The agreement provides for fair compensation, reasonable working conditions, and opportunities for professional development. With this CBA in place, the Meridian School District can continue to attract and retain qualified teachers and provide quality education to its students.

× Chat Now